1. MASTER'S DEGREE IN TRANSLATION AND NEW TECHNOLOGIES The XI Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products is offered by the Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Traducción (ISTRAD). For university recognition, please see point 21 of this document.
2. OBJETIVOS The main objectives of the XI Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products are the following:
1. To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in translation techniques applied to localization related to the translation process itself and using the most important software.
2. To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in translation techniques applied to web page localization related to both programming languages and tools for web content localization.
3. To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in software localization techniques as well as an introduction to the main tools used in software localization.
4. To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in video game translation, current translation trends, the phases of video game localization and the tools used in this sector.
5.To offer university graduates detailed and specific training in translation and localization project management.The master's degree is essentially of a practical nature and carries a course load of 60 ECTS credits, with each credit being equivalent to 25 teaching hours.
3. LANGUAGES USED The XI Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products allows students to freely choose their chosen language combination from the following options:
Source language: English, French, German, Italian or Spanish.
Target language: English, French, German, Italian or Spanish.
Of these languages, applicants can choose the pair they wish to work with and will be given a specific study program for the desired combination. We always recommend applicants have a high level of knowledge in the source language and culture and a complete mastery of the target language and culture. For this reason, it is ideal for applicants to choose their native language as their desired target language. If your native language is not included in this list, we recommend choosing the language you best express yourself in as your target language.
Once the course has begun, students will have the option to add a second or third language combination which can be chosen from the languages listed above.
With regard to the language in which the program is offered, students enrolled in the Online modality can freely choose from English, French, German, Italian or Spanish (Spain variant), which will preferably be their native language. However, for the Onsite modality, the working language for most sessions will be Spanish.
4. TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTSTo complete the XI Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products, it is mandatory for students to have a computer with the Windows operating system as the curriculum is designed based on tools that require this operating system. In addition, students must have a secure and reliable Internet connection.
5. MODALITY AND LENGTH The student may choose between Full-Time Dedication (2020-2021 academic year) and Part-Time Dedication (2020-2021 and 2021-2022 academic years). Classes for the Onsite modality will take place from October 2020 through June 2021 regardless the dedication chosen.
Studies will take place during the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 academic years in the online modality. Classes for the onsite modality will take place from October 2020 through June 2021. Students will choose a modality at the beginning of studies, but will have the option to change modalities at any time during the master’s. Changes from the online to onsite modality will be dependent upon space availability in the classroom. For the onsite program, students enrolling during the first registration phase between April 15 and May 10 will be given priority. During the other enrollment periods, students wishing to enroll in the onsite modality will be informed of the spaces available when their application is received.
Onsite learning. See link Onsite Learning.
Distance learning. See link Distance Learning.
6. DEDICATION FOR THE MASTER'S Studies will take place during the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 academic years (part time), or in a single academic year, 2020-2021 (full time), according to the option the student chooses.
7. ORGANIZATION The XI Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products is organized by the following faculty:
Dr. Cristina Ramírez Delgado (ISTRAD)
Academic Committee (in alphabetical order):
Ms. Marta Chapado Sánchez (Istrad)
Ms. Inés Franco Fernández (Istrad)
Ms. Rocío Márquez Garrido (Istrad)
Dr. Cristina Ramírez Delgado (Istrad)
Ms. Inés Franco Fernández (Istrad)
Dr. Anne Bécart (Istrad)
8. DEADLINES FOR REGISTRATION There will be three periods to complete registration:
1st registration period:
April 15 to May 10, 2020
2nd registration period:
June 15 to July 10, 2020
3rd registration period:
September 15 to October 10, 2020
Those interested in the course can submit their registration form during any one of these registration periods. Registration can be done via the registration form available atpre-registration form, or directly at the offices of the Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Traducción (from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm / 3:30 pm to 6:00 pm Monday through Thursday and Friday from 9:00 am to 1:30 pm). Students who register during the first enrollment period will be given preference when assigning spots for the Onsite modality in the case that all of the available spots are filled. Once the registration period is over, the students selected for the course will be notified via email and the necessary documentation for enrollment will be sent.
Those students who complete their undergraduate studies in December can register during the ordinary registration periods mentioned above and submit the required documentation from January 1-31, 2021.
9. REQUIREMENTS FOR ENROLLMENT In order to complete the enrollment process for the XI Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products, it is necessary
- - To complete the registration process during the established period and to be accepted into the course, in accordance with the previous point.
- - To hold a university degree. Foreign students who hold equivalent university degrees are at no disadvantage when applying for this master's degree.
The recommended language level is the equivalent of a B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) in the source language (English, French, German, Italian or Spanish) and the equivalent of a C1 according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) in the target language (English, French, German, Italian or Spanish) for those students who translate to a language other than their native language.
10. ADVISORS Once students have been accepted and have enrolled in the program, they will receive an email with information regarding the academic advisors assigned to each module (belonging to the professional or academic localization sector) who they may seek help from for any question or problem related to their studies. Additionally, both the Academic Coordinator and supporting Academic Staff will be available at ISTRAD for any consult (onsite, by phone or email) related to their professional work in translation or for anything related to their work outside the master’s degree by calling +34 954 61 98 04 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
11. COURSE START DATE Academic activity for both the onsite and online modalities for the master’s will begin on October 7, 2020 (the course presentation will be October 5 and will be streamed via our social media profiles for those who cannot attend in person), and continue for the duration the master's.
12. ACADEMIC STRUCTURE AND MODULES See link Modules and Teachers.
13. FINAL PHASE The internship coordinator will contact students in order to choose from the options offered (between November and December during the first academic year for full-time students and between October and November of the second academic year for part-time students). The final phase, which is worth a total of 20 ECTS credits, will consist of two modules:
1. APPLIED MODULE (10 ECTS CREDITS). To complete this module, students may choose from the following three (3) options:
Project. Complete a practical project in the field of Translation. This option must be completed offsite.
Internship. This option consists of students completing an internship in a translation agency or company, assigned by the master’s administration and based in the city and country of the student’s choosing. The internship will carry a workload of approximately 250 hours. The internship can be completed either onsite or offsite.
Work Recognition, Prior accreditation will be required.
2. TFM MODULE (10 ECTS CREDITS). To complete this module, students may choose from the following four (4) options:
Master’s Thesis TFM. This modality is based on students completing a research project in any of the topics taught throughout the master’s or any other branch related to Translation and Interpretation. This thesis will be directed by research staff (university teaching bodies).
Project TFM. This modality is based on students completing brief research about an aspect of their choosing or which they find most pertinent to their project, writing a report which presents the tasks completed and performing a critical analysis of these two components. This option can only be chosen if the Project option was chosen in the Applied Module.
Internship TFM. This modality is based on students completing brief research about an aspect of their choosing or which they find most pertinent to their internship, writing a report which presents the tasks completed and performing a critical analysis of these two components. This option can only be chosen if the Internship option was chosen in the Applied Module.
Work Recognition TFM. This modality is based on students completing brief research about an aspect of their choosing or which they find most pertinent to the work being recognized, writing a report which presents the tasks completed and performing a critical analysis of these two components. This option can only be chosen if the Work Recognition option was chosen in the Applied Module.
14. SELM ASSOCIATION MEMBERSHIP By virtue of the agreement reached with the Spanish Society of Modern Languages (SELM) Association (www.lenguasmodernas.com), all master’s degree students will be offered the opportunity to become members of the SELM Association with a free professional profile for the duration of their two years of study, until September 30, 2022.
Professional Profile members of the association will have access to the following features: 1) access to updated job offers in Translation, Interpretation and Modern Language Teaching, 2) a monthly newsletter featuring interviews with professionals and companies in the field, news about the latest publications and conferences being held, 3) access to a large number of electronic resources, links to glossaries and other links organized by language combination and subject matter, 4) circulation of CV and presence in our database of professionals, 5) access to free webinars, training lessons and other activities organized by the association.
15. ADDITIONAL TRAINING COURSES During their studies, enrolled students will have the opportunity to participate in one (1) of the four courses offered by ISTRAD in preparation for the Sworn Interpreter exam administered by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation (MAEC).
This additional course is completely voluntary and optional and will be completed online within a year from gaining access to the first lesson. Students enrolled in the master’s program will pay a reduced rate, 18 % of the total cost of the course, for platform maintenance.
Cost of the course: 400 euros.
Cost of the course for ISTRAD students: 75 euros.
If, once the scheduled deadline is reached, the student needs an extended period of time to complete the course, he or she may request an extension of six additional months provided that the student provides justification and receives assessment from the Academic Committee.
Additionally, once the master’s degree has finished, students will have the opportunity to complete a Professional Orientation and Entrepreneurship for Translators course online. The course will last fifty (50) hours and students will receive guidance on how to begin their professional career.
This additional course is completely voluntary and optional and will be completed online within a year from gaining access to the first lesson. Students enrolled in the master’s program will pay a reduced rate, 25% of the total cost of the course, for platform maintenance.
Cost of the course: 300 euros.
Cost of the course for ISTRAD students: 75 euros.
16. ISSUING OF FINAL DOCUMENTATION Upon completing the program, the Academic Committee for the master's will award the following personalized documents:
1. Final certificate for the Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies: Translation of Software and Multimedia Products issued as a degree certificate from the Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüísticos y Traducción (ISTRAD).
2. Detailed report of the student’s performance in each of the modules studied.
3. If completed, a detailed report reflecting the activities completed and performance review during the internship, along with the corresponding accrediting certificate for the activity.
The protocol to issue this final documentation will begin once the final corrected assignment is received. Within 15 days, students will be contacted by ISTRAD administration to begin the process.
17. ENROLLMENT FEES AND PAYMENT PLAN The total cost of the master's degree, 2160 euros, can be paid in a lump sum or in four installments distributed as follows:
|Enrollment in the program||540,00 euros|
|February 2021||540,00 euros|
|May 2021||540,00 euros|
|September 2021||540,00 euros|
|Enrollment in the program||540,00 euros|
|May 2021||540,00 euros|
|November 2021||540,00 euros|
|May 2022||540,00 euros|
18. REFUND POLICY If a banking or administrative error occurs when making a payment, either the initial payment or any of the following installments, students may request a refund at any time within the ten days following making the payment. The payment will then be refunded without the need for any additional paperwork.
19. EXTENDING STUDIES Those students who for work, professional or personal reasons require more than the planned two years to finish their studies may request an extension. The fee for this extension will be the equivalent of an additional installment for each additional semester. In September 2022, we will contact all students that may need this additional time in order for them to complete the application by the end of September 2022.
20. SIMULTANEITY OF STUDIES After the course begins, students will receive an email with information about the credit transfer and simultaneity options available for the studies offered by ISTRAD. If you are interested in receiving credit for previous studies completed at ISTRAD, you can consult this information.
21. UNIVERSITY RECOGNITION Those students who so wish may request official university recognition of the program through an agreement signed with Ateneum University (Poland). At the start of the course, in October 2020, the program administration will contact all students to offer this option, which will require the completion of the following four processes:
1. Partial recognition of studies completed in the Master's Degree in Translation and New Technologies equating to 60 ECTS credits. This recognition process will be handled directly by the administration for the program. For completed studies to be recognized, students must have completed all credits for the Master’s Degree in Translation and New Technologies by the end of the 2020-2022 biennium.
2. Complete complementary training with a course load of 20 additional ECTS credits related to the area of Translation. These credits will be completed during the 2021-2022 academic year.
3. Complete a practical project summarizing the complementary training from the previous point, with a course load of 10 ECTS credits. Like the complementary training, the project will be completed during the 2021-2022 academic year.
4. Complete a final academic project (Trabajo Final Máster) and the corresponding onsite defense at ISTRAD (Seville, Spain) during either of the two opportunities: June 2022 or September 2022. This TFM will have a course load of 30 ECTS credits and the presentation dates will be sent to students with enough notice to comfortably make the corresponding travel arrangements if necessary.
- Students opting for official recognition will have to complete the studies for the Master’s Degree in Translation and New Technologies in the Full-Time Dedication.
- The official degree awarded by Ateneum University (Poland) will be for the following: Máster en Lingüística Aplicada: Nuevas Tecnologías Aplicadas a la Traducción (Master in Applied Linguistics: New Technologies Applied to Translation).
- Students who do not wish to complete the process for this official recognition of the program during the 2020-2022 biennium may do so at any point in the future if they wish, provided the agreement with Ateneum University remains in effect.
- Students will have to pay an additional €440 for this entire process. This price includes administrative fees.
22. CONSULTATION TIMES The consultation times for the two academic years of study will be Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 2:30 pm / 3:30 pm to 6 pm and Friday from 9 am to 1:30 pm onsite at Instituto Superior de Estudios Lingüisticos y Traducción headquarters or by calling +34 954 61 98 04. During this time, any issue can be addressed and any administrative or academic questions can be answered. Students can also contact us at the following email addresses at any time:
Technical and IT assistance: email@example.com